The WHO media brief - 21/3
General Director: Message for young people: You are not invincible
- Data shows that a high under 15 occupies a high proportion and you can turn to be a decision of death and life of several people.
- Update about pipeline of medical supplies, e.g. mask, task, gloves, tests etc. between countries and companies. Private sectors and public sectors.
- Supplies and communication.
- Announcement of new guideline.
- Notice about physical and mental health in this drastic change of life.
- Increase health, no alcoholic, no sugar
- Support community. Check families and friends.
- Whats app
- No new cases in China: a message of hope. This virus can be suppressed. It is going to take time.
- Climate and festival in the context of Iran: Change the way we celebrate. Change the way people physically socialize. Exceptionally careful. Use social media to keep social connected.
- A request update of physical distance measure:
- Public health: take the case out of the population; should focus on containment: isolation, quarantine;
- All of these measures can not be everything, but a part of the bigger picture.
- Fatality rate worldwide
- Don’t have specific data of all countries. We could not compare numbers between countries.
- Some factors: demography, age. Difficulty of communication: how fatality is unfolded during epidemic and pandemic.
- What we have is just a snapshot. We don’t have precise numbers.
- Test and sample:
- Adequate testing and amplify testing.
- How WHO treat countries:
- Regardless of big or small, rich or poor.
- Estimation of the whole medical supplies for a need:
- Gap of knowledge
- Logistic in supply chain in China, Dubai
- Current statistics: needs to scale 80-100 times given the current statistics: 1.2M
- Issue of political commitment. And priority for medical workers.
- Estimation of prediction:
- Calculation of death is wrong.
- Key assumptions about people get infected: how long, 2-3 weeks.
- But should focus on the driving factor.
- Should not use death to measure an impact but severity and society.
- Vaccine research:
- At least 20 vaccines on going.
- First trials were started after 60 days when the disease started.
- Should be very careful about vaccine candidates.
- Production, and scale up. Ubiquitous. Fundraising for Coronavirus
Full video: Youtube