The WHO media brief - 25/3
1. The general director update:
- Postpone Olympics and Paralympics to next year.
- Physical distance does not mean social distance.
- Lost more than 16,000 lives.
- Reminds of actions to stop community transmissions and avoid more severity, especially those lockdown. 6 key actions:
- Expand, train and deploy healthcare and public health workforce.
- Implement a system to find susceptive case at community level.
- Wrap up production and availability capacity of testing
- Identify and keep facility to treat and isolate patients.
- Develop a clear plan and process to quarantine contact.
- Refocus a whole government on suppress and control CoViD-19
- Humanitarian crisis
- A message of protecting the vulnerable population
- Communicating compelling and effectiveness of public health: promote a video strategy.
- What type of concrete actions from developed countries to support Africa before it is too late? > Answer about how the WHO have supported Africa. Reinforce a message of actions, hope and solidarity.
- President of Brazil: his position about CoViD-19? > WHO trust a country to manage their situation. Mention about 6 actions.
- Italy: Ask the WHO about testing and surveillance in Italy > Describe how the WHO sees what is happening in Italy, especially the situation, challenges and highlights positive progress in the country.
- Alternative testing by innovative tech > collaboration about surveillance, predictive modeling and other applications. Some examples through collaborations and partnerships.
- Ask advice for 3-week India lockdown for policyholders > Reinforce the message of 6 recommendations and break-down strategy.
- Medical supplies chain w.t.r regions > Chain: Raw material, production and delivery. Shortage of ventilators and PPEs (masks, gloves, suits, etc.)
- About modelings, how to use > Model allows us to see scenarios, but also allows us to see how measure could help us reduce numbers. Mentions about coordination across countries.
- Advice of Olympics committee > Progress of the WHO.
- Questions about the President of the US towards the pandemic > Reinforce the role of the government to fight against the pandemic. And the previous collaboration between the WHO and FDA as well as other agencies.